Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Another Step By Step "Gourdgeous"


This is the initial concept for the still life.
The idea was a vertical format, but I found I didn't like the set up, so I went to my bag of gourds.


This is the resulting, modified set up.
I went from five gourds to nine, more challenging, also as you'll see below, I decided to eliminate the striped cloth, I felt it was too distracting.


The starting point, laying in the background.
I selected what I felt were "autumny" colors which I felt would go well with the gourds.

Beginning to lay in color and structure to the still life.
Being right handed, I work from the upper right to the lower left of the pastel.
This usually keeps me from smudging areas already laid in, but not always.

This shows a bit of detail, learned a new technique that I'm using on the Turban Squash. It's exciting to learn something new and to put it to use. Especially after working in the medium for as long as I have.

More updates tomorrow, will be carrying this through to the completion of the painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment